Saturday, October 23, 2010

When you realize you're lost

Tonight we went to the school Halloween party. A large room filled with parents and lots of screaming, yelling, running, and jumping children. Oh, and one child that suddenly realized he was lost. The moment my little guy realized he was lost the panic button was hit. He desperately sought to find us. He did.
I have wondered to myself, "How long does it take to realize you are lost?" I mean 'lost' in the biblical way illustrated in Luke 15. The coin and most likely, the sheep, have no real thought of being lost. But the two boys and their father understood 'lost'. The father, I would assume, understood the 'lostness' of each son. The youngest was lost before he left with his worldly possessions. It took him a dead end job and an empty stomach to realize he was 'lost'. His 'lostness' caused him to evaluate his situation and execute a plan to be found. His greatest hope was that he'd at least be considered a slave of the father, what he found was the restoration of what he lost when he left.
The oldest lived oblivious of his state of 'lostness'. He never left but he never knew the joy of being found. He couldn't grasp the lostness of his situation. The father explained the truth to him. But we don't know what his response was. What if Jesus had continued the story? Maybe he oldest son would have grasped his lostness and found his place. I dunno. What I do know is that I see a lot of people working and buying and living that haven't had the "I'm lost" light bulb go off. I'm praying for those people to come to that knowledge sooner than later. And like the younger son I pray they evaluate the situation and execute the plan which has them confessing their need to be found by the Lord Jesus Christ and forgiven of all sin. In response our God has said He will adopt us into His family, never to be lost again.
It's a terrifying situation to realize you are lost and helpless. It's a comforting place to be, when you realize that you have been found and will never be let go.
You're comments are always welcome. :)

No comments: