Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Are YOU the new minister?

You probably don't know it yet, but it is official... YOU are the new minister!  I can see the shock on your virtual face right now.  You were thinking, possibly, "Oh, Lonnie got a church!"  Nope, sorry.  It's more like "Lonnie got a clue." A clue that we need to grasp with understanding and conviction.  Ready?  Here it is: God has MADE you to minister to others. God has CALLED you to minister to others.  God has GIFTED you to minster to others. 

Still in shock?
Think about this: The biggest fallacy that people have bought into in the 'Church,' is that, the Pastor is the "minister" who "ministers" the sacraments of communion and baptism... who "ministers" at weddings and funerals and hospitals... and who "ministers" to all of 'my' needs.
Not true.  Ephesians 4:11-13 says,  "So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. 

The apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers serve a purpose, but what? 
So that those who follow Jesus could, "getcha popcorn ready?!" lol No way!
So that (reading verse 12) to equip his people for works of service...  You are the new minister!  I hear a shriek, "But I don't know how to minister!" Ok.  So God wants to teach you by the Holy Spirit and by the people he's called and approved to oversee you.

Isaiah 50:4 says, "The Sovereign LORD has given me a well-instructed tongue,
   to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning,
   wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed. 

Here's what I know God has been doing in my life from the moment I said, "YES" to His call on my life... 
God made me with specific experiences that others can relate to.  I don't relate to everyone (though God knows I've tried to be 'all things to all people' and failed)... but I do relate to people who struggle with panic attacks, infertility, self-esteem, sexual abuse as a child, and divorce (my parents). I relate well with people who really want to know how God brings freedom into your life in the areas of hurt, because I've been there and continue to experience healing and hope.  I also feel a deep affinity with those people who are tired of dead faith that seeks to hide behind a script of self-righteous behavior. The truth is that God calls us to be real, authentic people with a Living Expression of Christ. (there's much more I could say about that, and will, eventually.) 
What the verse from Isaiah explains is that God teaches us though even the most difficult and unpleasant things in life to be able to come along side someone who is in a similar place and give them a word of hope to sustain them.  As you grow in your faith and speak with God (prayer), He will wake you up and give you things to think on even at night.  I know that is true because God has done that for years in my life.  Not a lot at first, but over time it increases.  As I ask God to speak to me, He'll teach me and show me who and how He wants me to minister.  Sometimes I find myself getting a thought while I'm talking to someone.  I know that God is there and wanting to minister to that person through me.  

And the truth is that God wants to do all of that and more through you!  YOU are the new minister!  You are the person He is equipping to represent Christ to people who are hurting in similar ways that you are, to bring them a word that sustains their weary soul. 
This world is dying for a new minister.  Are YOU the new minister?  I pray that you accept the call to be that minister to the people God sends YOU to. "So You're the new minister..." ;)

( A special thanks to God for speaking loudly through Pastor Jon at Kenmore Alliance Church and my friends (Nate and Tami) at Incubator Creative Group this week!  I couldn't have posted this with out you.)

No comments: